Black football managers

The beautiful game!

Re: Black football managers

Postby sussexpob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 am

Yeah, but you could make that point with any manager, irrespextive of colour. Lampard walked into a much better job, and unlike Campbell, hadn't progressed through the fa setup and pro licence qualification.

Campbell did. So in those terms, he has done the classroom stuff
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Henry sacked from Monaco after two months. Was a disaster job to take, might end up having to drop a long way down if he wants to continue....or go back to the studio, like Neville
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby mikesiva » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:16 pm

West Brom sacked Darren Moore despite being in the top four, so what was the thinking behind the decision? Adam Bate takes a look at a hugely controversial call by the Championship promotion hopefuls...

The news that Darren Moore had been sacked by West Brom following the club's 1-1 draw against Ipswich sparked an outcry from the wider public with the fact that he was one of the few black managers in the Football League only adding to the furore.

Moore, in his first job in management, had guided the Baggies to fourth in the Championship with a seven-point cushion on Bristol City in seventh. A glorious day at Wembley was still well within his reach.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... s-decision
:no
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm

mikesiva wrote:West Brom sacked Darren Moore despite being in the top four, so what was the thinking behind the decision? Adam Bate takes a look at a hugely controversial call by the Championship promotion hopefuls...

The news that Darren Moore had been sacked by West Brom following the club's 1-1 draw against Ipswich sparked an outcry from the wider public with the fact that he was one of the few black managers in the Football League only adding to the furore.

Moore, in his first job in management, had guided the Baggies to fourth in the Championship with a seven-point cushion on Bristol City in seventh. A glorious day at Wembley was still well within his reach.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... s-decision
:no

Poor form by an official at Kick It Out to play the race card on Darren Moore's sacking when the decision was made for purely footballing reasons (i.e. a substandard home record). Responses of this nature do not achieve a level playing field, quite the opposite.

He should know that managerial sackings of this nature are not uncommon. Best example is Scunthorpe sacking Graham Alexander last season despite being firmly in the League 1 playoffs and have gone backwards this season.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby yuppie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 am

Karanka at Forest this season 2 points out of a play off place, and much improved from last season.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am

Chris Hughton has been sacked from Brighton.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 am

Comon Forest, take him.
yuppie

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 am

Shocking decision. Of course we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but from the outside looking in..........
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 am

Gingerfinch wrote:Shocking decision. Of course we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but from the outside looking in..........

I guess people who like Hughton have never had to endure his football week in, week out. Yep, a good manager tactically in the lower levels, and he's done a good job, but he has a ceiling, and I think he's reached it. And there is only so much negative football one fan bases can take before they become exhausted. I wouldnt have sacked him, but it would have been a close call, and a poor start next year, he would have gone quickly. I guess Bloom thought new year, new us.

Thanks Chris for the work you've done, and I hope he finds a decent job soon and is successful. No bitterness from me, but I back the club saying its time to move on and aim higher.

Goes without saying, the guy is a class act personality too. He always represented Brighton AFC like a gentleman!

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 am

No offence but I kinda of hope Brighton go down next year. I understand the Football wasn't great but you reached a cup semi final and stayed up. That's the ceiling.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby yuppie » Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 am

I just wonder if he had gone as far has he could with Brighton.

It seems like it might be the right decision at the right time. It gives Brighton the chance to prepare fully for next year, and gives Chris the chance to choose the right club for him.

2 years in the top flight with Brighton is a good return, and it will be tough for them again next year.

As SP says Hughton comes across very well and it is satisfying seeing a person like Warnock take a team down whilst Chris keeps a team up.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 13, 2019 12:05 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:I understand the Football wasn't great but you reached a cup semi final and stayed up. That's the ceiling.

Brighton have spent a lot of money, in fact they spent more than City, United, Arsenal and Spurs this year, and their net spend discrediting the top 6 mega teams in the last 5 years is only exceeded by Bournemouth and Crystal Palace, who have both spent a combined 5 years extra Premier League seasons in that period, and have both only scraped past our spends in more than half the time in the Premier League. Leicester won a bloody league spending less money. Other teams like Southampton qualified for European competitions twice in the period, having a net spend less than 200 million than us. Hughton has been given money, and the return on that money as a minimum in comparison to those around us, was survival. You can think of us a small club from a small town, but its money that talks nowadays.... and we have spent a lot more.

Wolves are a great example. Spent less than us and have come up from League one, requiring two squad shifts to new leagues.... finished 7th last year in the first year in the Premier League. If you are telling me its impossible for Brighton to aim higher than 17th, then how can Wolves spend a 100million and shoot up to just below the mega teams? They did it because they spent their money wisely, and had a nice wedge to spend. If Brighton spent their money wisely, they have had enough to buy everyone of Wolves squad with spare change..... so the capacity is clearly there.

I think its a very naive suggestion to state any team that have been prepare to invest in the club like Brighton have, have any ceiling below the top 6 at all. Or cant win a trophy or play in Europe.

Wigan won the FA cup a couple of years ago. Swansea won a cup. Birmingham won a cup...... Swansea qualified for Europe. Southampton have multiple times in the last few years..... as have Hull, Wigan, Burnley, Newcastle, Leicester, Villa, Portsmouth, Leicester, Fulham, Stoke and West Ham. Everton under Moyes spent nothing and made the top 4, and repeatidly made the top 6. Are any of the above list out of reach of Brighton? 5 of them are below Brighton now in the pyramid, and the others are a couple of wins to the North.

I dont think its much of an argument to say Hughton has reached the pinnacle of Brighton's possible achievements. If we had been West Brom'ing it and spent 6 million over two years, accepting we'd go down, then fair enough, but hes been backed heavily, far heavily than most teams all the way up to the top 6 (only 3 teams have higher net spends)......

sussexpob

Postby mikesiva » Fri May 17, 2019 2:43 pm

sussexpob wrote:Chris Hughton has been sacked from Brighton.

Black managers are becoming a rare breed.

Maybe it's time to introduce the Rooney rule.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby yuppie » Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Houghton will get a job very quickly. It seems he will be heading to West Brom. Going to be tough though as the pressure to go up next season will be huge. FFP over their shoulder, 3 more rich teams coming down. Going to have to think about balancing the books whilst pushing for promotion.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Big Vincent Kompany has taken the job at Parc Astrid.

Mixed feelings for me, because seeing what he does in Belgium, he's a superb advocate (as is his dad) for immigrants in the country, he's the face of the governments efforts to improve linguistic connections between the two communes of Dutch and French, when he talks about politics or the game, I feel like what he is saying is something people need to listen to; he seems a top, thoughtful, intelligent and class guy.

But bloody Anderlecht Vince!!! :facepalm Why do you do this to me when I want to like you so much :facepalm

Sorry Vince, I hope you crash and burn!

#OneteamInBrussels#USG!

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum