FIFA World Cup 2018 chat thread

The beautiful game!

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 chat thread

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Player of the tournament for me, Hazard...
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby yuppie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:22 pm

sussexpob wrote:Player of the tournament for me, Hazard...

I would second that.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Modric wins it though. No complaints....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Nice piece of respect from the French, forming the tunnel with handshakes for their beaten rivals... Croatia players all getting a hug (Modric with a tear in her eye) from the PM.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Macron looks like he might spontaneously burst into tears, so happy is he. Every French player is getting a warm embrace, a kiss, a few words...... its like some random French fan was put in a suit and got a few moments with the team at the final whistle.

sussexpob

Postby mikesiva » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 pm

The presidents were handing out lots of hugs and kisses this evening.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:39 pm

I hope that, in a country that nearly voted in a Neo-Nazi recently, they will reflect that men called "Pogba", "Matuidi", "Mbappe" just won them the greatest cultural prize on offer in the world. Football captures the spirit in society, it would be nice if this win could usher in a new level of thought in French society.....

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Perisic has bes been Croatia's best player in their last two games but no real complaints with Modric winning the golden ball.

Almost forgot, well done to France. Not at their best today but worthy winners on a whole. Pogba and Varane have been immense when I've seen them, and along with Mbappe have a tough and good to watch side.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Perisic has bes been Croatia's best player in their last two games but no real complaints with Modric winning the golden ball.

Almost forgot, well done to France. Not at their best today but worthy winners on a whole. Pogba and Varane have been immense when I've seen them, and along with Mbappe have a tough and good to watch side.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:49 pm

sussexpob wrote:I hope that, in a country that nearly voted in a Neo-Nazi recently, they will reflect that men called "Pogba", "Matuidi", "Mbappe" just won them the greatest cultural prize on offer in the world. Football captures the spirit in society, it would be nice if this win could usher in a new level of thought in French society.....

By rioting and looting in the cities of France :facepalm
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:The guy got the nation and the team going for a bit so Southgate does deserve some praise.

Same as Bobby Robson and Terry Venables did back in the day.

At the end of it all we will never get a manager or the players who are ever seriously going to challenge.

A quality premier league is what the fans want not a quality national team, and the fact that no European club will hardly ever sign an Englishman says it all really.

Bournemouth getting promotion to the Premier League meant alot more to me than England ever winning anything.

Southgate does indeed praise for assembling a team of mainly unknown quantities and turning them into World Cup contenders. But it's getting the English public to show affection with national team, which is the biggest success. It seems Southgate has taken note of a certain cricketing quote from Len Hutton, given the defence is of Yorkshire (and Northern) persuasion :D

Maybe if more Premier League clubs invest in English players instead of buying foreign mercenaries in an attempt to finish 17th (or 4th), then English football will be better for it. Also cup competitions should be taken more seriously, as it's these one off matches which emulate international tournament pressure rather than the bread and butter of league football.

I am not sure if fans want a quality top tier of English football, bearing in mind fans of those clubs are turning to lower and non-league football for their football fix. Barring Leicester City's unprecedented title win, the Premier League is boring and stale as a competition.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote: Barring Leicester City's unprecedented title win, the Premier League is boring and stale as a competition.

Not sure that is true. At least in the EPL there are several teams who could win it (not mine, obviously). Look around most other leagues and generally they seem to be dominated by only 2 or perhaps 3 teams.... In Scotland's case there is now only one realistic winner every year
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby sussexpob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:08 am

Out of the five one off events held this year worldwide, four of the best live attendances are English football competitions (sold out Wembley for the EFL, FA Cup, EPL playoffs and charity shield). So if anyone has experience of playing high pressure games, it's us. The last playoff final contained two younger players highly regarded and touted to make England's next world cup team (Grealish and Sessegnon).... No excuses

Far from being stale, the top level of English football ranks as the third best watched spectacle in world sport by live attendees, although the NFL has less than half the games, and the Bundesliga has four less, so I believe it beats both in number of people actually going. It is the most watched annual sporting league on TV worldwide. And the incredible thing is, this is just the top level. The championship and league one attendances in combination exceeded attendances in la Liga, serie a and blow the rest of the Bundesliga pyramid out the water ....no excuse. English players play in a highly competitive and relevant league.

As for dominance....Juventus have won the last 6 serie A titles, as have Bayern Munich in Germany. Paris have won 6 out of 7 in France. You have to go back to the early 80s to get more la Liga clubs who've won the title than in England in the last 6 years.....The Premier League is by far the most open league in world football in recent history.

Finally, mercenary players. Look at Frances team. Lucas has had 4 years and averaged about 12 matches per year at atletico, not got much football. Pavard has played one season in a non-continental qualification mid table German side.l and not a lot else. Umtiti only played 20 odd times for Barcelona last year, which about what stones got at city and both have had similar careers and moves at the same ages. Sunderland nearly signed Mendy ion a free a couple of years ago, half a year at Monaco and he was the most expensive full back ever. Tolisso started 17 league game last year for Bayern in bundasliga. Pogba is a united youth player from england. At 25 no one had heard of kante. Steve nzonzi didn't exactly cut it in the premier league in 200 games as a youngster, or certainly wasn't world cup final player class. Matuidi was thrown out of PSG and told he was finished last summer. Thuavin was useless at newcastle, did he even score for them? Giroud couldn't get a start at the team who finished 6th in the premier league and got flogged off to warm another bench. Griezmann was famously ignored in France as a youngster and had to go overseas. And Marcus rashford has played more games for united then Mbappe has in his career so far at a similar age.

So what are we saying? Why when so many French players have not really played that much, do we now find them world champions? The fact is, Mbappe didn't need games, he was better coached. Others the same. If English players were to standards they'd get games.

Look how many Croats in the team we lost to are playing bags of games attop teams, in top leagues? The majority aren't. Strinic tipped us apart and could not get a game at sampdoria.

Oh and for the record...Croatia football top league has an attendance of 2,700 per match, has been won 12 out 13 years by dinamo Zagreb, and currently has a huge scandal which essentially wrecked the local FA....

sussexpob

Postby mikesiva » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
sussexpob wrote:I hope that, in a country that nearly voted in a Neo-Nazi recently, they will reflect that men called "Pogba", "Matuidi", "Mbappe" just won them the greatest cultural prize on offer in the world. Football captures the spirit in society, it would be nice if this win could usher in a new level of thought in French society.....

By rioting and looting in the cities of France :facepalm

:lmaoagain
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm

I dont see whats funny about it? He pours scorn on the suggestion that this team was representative of multi cultural France..... interesting that, while him and his audience laugh at that, the ambassadors statement on the point is, and I say this with no hyperbole, almost perfect word for word exact copy of what Paul Pogba said this week in the French media. Words that Adil Rami also said, and Blase Matuidi said before the competition. He then embarrasses himself by saying that its more about French colonialism, hence they all find themselves in France from Africa. The biggest "African" group in the team was Congolese, which wasnt a French colony. Angola, nope. Nigeria, nope. Cameroon, nope. The majority of these African players are not from French colonies. "Why do these people have in common"..... er, seriously? You need that pointing out? They are French, is that good enough?

I dont think anyone is saying a person cant be African nor French. On the contrary, the point is that Frenchness should not be defined by someones ethnic background unless THEY specifically define themselves as such. It is not appropriate for someone completely separate from them to label them "African".... they may embrace their heritage, them may completely reject it.... Steven N'Zonzi rejected to play for Congo, got a British passport and filed to play for us. He considered himself European, and now holds French and British citizenship. Does it sound like he wants to identify as African? Almost all of these players have rejected African call ups. Ben Mendy went as far as to tweet he didnt like being called Ivorian, and that he was 100% French. Why should this idiot tell him he's African? Is this not racist? Can someone not be French with an Ivorian dad? Is that the point? Not sure thats a comfortable point to make.

I dont think someone should say if one of my kids ever strike gold for Norway in an Olympics, that they are British. Thats up to them to decide what they want to be, I couldnt care less. Nationality is a deeply personal thing, I dont personally find it funny or acceptable for someone to add ethnic labels where they are not wanted. And on the flip side, Id defend heavily any French player who wanted to identify as African. Its just at the moment, no one has.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum